Wednesday 21 March 2012

*** Living in Rishikesh~~...

I've felt grounded in Rishikesh- spiritually, mentally and physically. Perhaps its because I've been here for 6 weeks (a long time to stay in one place if you're me) but this place has a special resonance. And now as I am down to my last week here- I'm deeply appreciating how incredible this place is.
Every night at sunset, a 'Pujah' Ceremony happens here on the sacred Ganga river. (photo below) Pujahs happen all over the country as part of Hindu tradition.
There is mantra chanting, burning of various incense and herbs, offerings to the Gods and many prayers. It goes on for about 2 hours everyday- and is quite loud. A sound I've grown to love.


- Bhakti Yoga is the practice of Devotion, perhaps to your choice of God, Guru, loved ones, to your higher self, or whatever you may choose. I've really embraced the beauty in Devotion here. 

I've stepped into a space, of Personal Devotion. 

Feeling my Guru within Awakening and Clearly Tuning In.



How Beautiful the Womens' Sari's are here. An authentic representation of how colorful Indian culture is. 
Every morning, people bathe in the Ganga (gangees) River. Men usually get down to there boxers, but Women enter the water FULLY Clothed. Never exposing shoulders, or knees, and rarely ever ankles in public. Thus, - I swim in all my clothes here in Northern India. 


My Chai Guy.
Conveniently placed Chai stand right outside my guesthouse. Yes- I'll admit- I quite addicted- and ok with that. haha.
Every morning, I greet this man with a big smile and pitifully attempt the tiny bit of Hindi I know. Simple conversational 'Namaste, app kay sey hai?' 'Acha- ek chai, Danyavad'
(Hello, how are you? Good, one chai please, Thank you!)
And every morning he giggles at this white girls language attempts, and effortlessly brews me up a delicious glass of chai- an art he's had his lifetime to perfect.
10 cents later, I'm caffeinated and on my way to Yoga. lol



Just down the street from where I'm staying is a row of trinket vendors and Thali boothes. yummm. Here you can get a plate of Thali (tradiational Indian dish of rice, curry, mixed veg, dahl, milk curd, various spices, naan and papadom) all for 30 Ruppees- (60 cents)
An authentic, spicy meal, rich in flavors and worth every penny.

What's THIS?!? 
Indian Mythology says I'm to be Famous.
WOOT WOOT!


One day I hiked up a mountain with some friends from the Yoga course. Our destination was a very sacred cave with a Sadhu inside holding space, meditating and practicing his devotion.
Along the way- we met this Buba, and gang of Monkeys. 
Sure monkeys can be cute and all- but also fast, viscous and strong. 


A Beautiful Indian woman and her son. 


Temple Bell Ringing. 


The Yoga School.
 I've been in this Yoga Teacher training all month, and absolutely flourishing. My soul feels like its found its' home. Everyday I meditate, practice Pranayam (breathing excersises) Bandhas, Kriyas   (cleansing process's), and of course sooooo much yoga. I reckon I've done around 70-80 yoga classes this month alone.  HOLY SMOKES! thats  a LOT of Yoga, and I still Love it.


It's funny to think that this 'humble' Yoga School sign, (above photo), leads to this luxurious Yoga hall (below)
I have been blessed to practice in this pristine marble ashram. With big windows facing the Ganga river and the Mountains. Watching the Sunrise and Sunset Everyday from Yoga class.


And while I'm learning much from my surroundings- deep compassion for all beings, the act of selfless serving and going deeper within myself- I am also holding a sacred, shanti space back in my room. 
This is my alter beside my bed. 
Waking up every morning and playing this singing bowl, burning incense, candles every night, shanti music and oh, some delightful crystals- My spiritual practice is rooted here in some of the most magical soils I've ever touched.
If it was Spirituality that I was seeking in India - I've definitely deepened my practice here- more than I could have imagined. 

I feel beyond Incredible.

so blessed.


This might be cheasy but - I wake up everyday and say Thank you.
Sincerely.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Aya, what a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this entry melted me. Thank you! Your such a gem.
    i dont know how to follow this up...
    thank you for sharing so many photos! Love you Sister, but I wont say I miss you though, cause your not missing, your right where you aught to be, most definitely!

    Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks, LOGAN! I'm missing you mor than ever. i wish you were here with me. what an adventure we'd have together. <3 i seriously think about you often. and everytime your name comes up in conversation i sigh, and in a child's' voice say 'logannnnnnnnn- hmmmmmm' lol. loving you more than chocolate cake. AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Up late on the east coast researching rishikesh and came across this post. Enjoyed it. The parts about your chai guy and the food (60c/meal!) Make me want to go for sure.

    ReplyDelete