Thursday 1 March 2012

Rishikesh India

...a place to soothe the soul.  


Arriving in Rishikesh on Feb. 18th 2012 - I instantly felt refreshed.
I'll admit that the first 6 weeks of India were 'challenging'-- wanting so badly to Love India, but I often had this Evil voice in my head, seeing India as disgusting, over crowded, polluted and obnoxious.
Then I got to Rishikesh- The Yoga Capital of India.
...a haven of spiritual seekers from around the world, a place where alcohol does not exist (within the city limits), the whole city is Vegetarian, the Water - Clean, the Air - Fresh, Ashrams galor, Meditating yogi's on every corner.
It just 'feels' Pure here.


Getting grounded - relaxing by the Sacred Ganga (Gangees) River.
I feel spell bound. 
This place has captured my Heart like no other. 
Everyday waking up starry eyed, with a smile on my face. Watching the sunrise over the Mountains, reflecting on the Ganga. 

It's absolute Magic

People have been making pilgrimages here for Thousands of years. -And when you get here- you *feel why. 
It casts a spell on you.
The scenery is somewhat comparable to Banff Alberta, mixed with Ashrams, Gurus, Babas, Monkeys, and a new type of somethin' Sacred.
It's a place that cater's to spiritual development. I feel my Consciousness Expanding to new levels of Awareness, my Heart Opening with more Compassion than I knew possible and my body Thriving with Health.

Just one step closer to Nirvana.


I've dreamt about taking a Yoga Teacher Training course for as long as I can remember > perhaps since my brother took me to my very first class at the ripe'ol age of 14. (thanks Keith!) 
And now I am living my Dreams, Awake; I recently enrolled in an Ashtanga Vinyasa/Mixed Flow Yoga course. My days begin at 7am, and finish at 8pm. Yoga philosophy, anatomy, cleansing techniques, mediations, ect. 
Everything about it, is right up my alley. I seriously think this is my calling. I feel balanced, aligned and clear. Yoga makes perfect sense to me. 
Well done Universe!

The above photo is Omkaranda Ashram, where I'm studying yoga. 
Then to the right, in the tall green building is my home- I have a room right on the river, with a balcony, and a yoga room on the top floor. 



And I guess life doesn't suck having Krisjah around.
An old, good friend from home. We've got rooms right beside each other, and pretty much hang out everyday. A Barrel of LAUGHS this one is 
:)


Beware of Monkey's in Rishikesh.
It is not uncommon to witness a monkey theft on a daily basis- never have food out around the red butt monkeys- or your purse open. They're fast, clever and strong. You will have you peanuts ripped from your fingers before you can say the word 'Hay!!' lol 


This man is dressed as the Hindu Diety Hanuman. 
A Monkey God who symbolizes absolute devotion. 
(he even had a 2 ft wooden tale as part of his costume, glued straight up!) 


Yummm- a delightful refreshment from a street vendor. (above photo)
For just 10 Rupees (20 cents) this man will spark to life this Ancient Juicer- and push thru stalks of Sugar Cane- perhaps adding some lime, mint or ginger> and Voila! pure, raw, natural Sugar Cane juice.
*drool drool

Krisjah is so artsy... on this day we took a little feild trip into the main town- explored he markets, and back alleys. I love the architecture in India-- everything seems to be just 'a little crooked' lol.

Oh and the Flowers!

I was lucky enough to stumble into Rishikesh just before Maha ShivaRatchi! A festival celebrating Shiva - Divine Conciousness. The whole town was decorated, festivities everywhere. The babas were smokin' chillums, the Guru's (and everyone) drinkin Bang Lassies (a drink made of the Marijuana leaf), dancing, worshiping in Temples - and general Merriment abound!


 This fallick symbol is the Shiva Lingum, celebrating the Divine Union of the Masculine and Feminine. We gathered around, sang songs, while the people above ceremonially poured Blessed milk and Water down the sacred shaft. 
T'was a Fun day indeed.

4 comments:

  1. :) gushing. Hrishikesh! Beautiful writing as usual, thank you for sharing. Is the sugar cane juice sweet or fairly watery? never did try,

    so stoked your doing a yoga program, adding to your extensive bag of skills and abilities! You go girl, loving you so much Sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. logggggggssssssss xoxox. missing you. the sugar cane is the sweetest juice that ever existed. and delicious!! the yoga program is amazing. i'm in love with yoga- all i wanna do is yoga yoga yoga, lol.
      whats clgary like these days? where are you working??
      who are you loving? :)

      Delete
  2. This is a delightful piece of fun, dear Aya, thank you for sharing. I really enjoy the picture of you sitting on the rock. That's what i think of when i feel what yoga does for me, and i see it here in you too. So unique and special you are. I'm looking forward to more. I love you. Bless ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa :) it feels so good to be able to connect here. yoga in rishikesh is like icing on my cake of life. haha. i highly recommend it. have you been to india? ---and are we on facebook ??

      Delete