Thursday 28 April 2016

The Far North  (brrr!)


After 40 hours of travelling I finally made it from Vancouver to the far northern stretches of Finland. Passed the Arctic circle to the deep snow.







     
      Here the daylight seemed to never fade. Even after the sun would set, the sky remained a beautiful light blue- and only a few hours later the sun would rise again. In June I've heard the sun never sets. (whoa).
For anyone that knows me- I've avoided winter for most of my twenties. An endless summer, always chasing the next wave, the next mango season or anywhere flip flops were the norm. But alas the only thing in life we know true is change. I've found myself in love with a viking man, from the north. He loves the snow and all the winter adventures that come along with it. He was competing this winter in the World Cup Snow Kite Endurance Race. 30 incredibly gruesome hours of snow kiting across Pallastunturi (a national park in northern Finland). So I bought some snow pants, wool socks and said "winter, 
lets set aside our differences".
  *Sigh* I am undoubtably a
 woman who follows her heart.
*Shakes head* It's COLD up here!!!


 Many firsts this week; First time snow shoeing. First time Ski Touring (climbing a mountain with skins on your skis to ride down it once) First time cross country skiing. First time winter camping. and first time kite skiing! 




My experience so far; Bums get cold
and it's not particularily easy peeing with Skis on. lol
While these pictures may be mildly embarrassing I think it's a fair depiction of a well rounded view of my                                                                                                                                                  experience up north. :P


This one is still doing cold plunges. (aye!!!)


Turns out if you have the right gear- winter can be really fun. 


And it certainly is remarkably beautiful up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment